Timothy Jump

“It is engineering – not engi-telling,” Timothy Jump, Executive Director and developer of Engineering3, is fond of saying, emphasizing that while he is in the classroom the learning very much depends upon students “figuring things out.”

“Figuring things out” is also where Engineering3 began. Starting with the seeds planted by an innovative engineering executive, Tim was challenged to address the gap in STEM education specifically as it related to the engineering issues faced by the U.S. moving into the 21st century. Creating new ideas and classroom experiences, Tim worked to understand how students best learned engineering at the high school level, finding application to be the missing element.

Twenty years in development, Engineering3 was an expansion of the Advanced Competitive Science conceptual engineering program Tim created while at Benilde-St. Margaret’s School in St. Louis Park, Minn. “Engineering, as I teach it, is really about developing problem solving habits of mind,” Tim says. Noting that while 75 percent of the Benilde-St. Margaret’s Engineering3 graduates have pursued engineering degrees and careers, the other 25 percent value how the curriculum directs participants to break down problems and create solutions. The skills learned apply–not only to engineering–but also to fields ranging from international finance and political science to communications, business and beyond.

Tim’s knowledge and success with STEM education has garnered invitations to present at numerous conference venues including MIT Mindfest; Bristol Science Center Explore@Bristol in the United Kingdom; Singapore Science Center; and Dartmouth College, Tufts University, and the University of Wisconsin.

Tim earned his B.F.A. in art and art history at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas. One of the nation’s premier STEM educators, Timothy Jump currently serves as The Hill School’s Director of Quadrivium Engineering and Design (QED), bringing his innovative Engineering3 curriculum to their students. He also actively supports the administrators and educators of the many other exceptional high schools who have chosen to deliver the Engineering3 curriculum to their students.